Kilruddery House

kilruddery houseOften described as a wonderful place to escape for a great day out Kilruddery House and Gardens in Wicklow has been home to sixteen generations of the Brabazon family (the Earls of Meath) since 1618.

Killruddery is a living, working House, Gardens and Farm.  The original house was built during the early-mid 1600s and has a long history as the place of residence for successive Earls of Meath through the centuries. The 10th Earl carried out extensive renovations during the 1820s and then after the Second World War, circa 1950, the 14th Earl demolished about a third of the house and made additions and extensions including a new formal entrance.

The gardens at Killruddery are of outstanding importance as they are among the very few remaining 17th Century gardens in Ireland. Today, produce that is grown in the Walled Garden supplies the public Tearooms with vegetables, salads, herbs and fruits from April to October.

Killruddery’s 17th Century Garden sees many visitors over the year. A wonderful farm market with fresh locally produced produce runs every Saturday, 10am – 4pm. Kilruddery Farm is a working farm in operation today and set over 750 acres. The farm is actually managed by the son of the 15th Earl of Meath. The large outdoor area also includes a riding trial, Nordic walking and even a paintball centre!

Various events are held on the land throughout the year, these can be charity walks, mountain bike events, cross-country running, drag hunts, motorbike trials, filming, and many more.

 

 

 

 

Read some more...